MBBS in China – the ultimate 2021 guide
China is one of the oldest civilizations in the world having a written history of more than 5,000 years, with a rich culture and traditions which continue also today, especially in the field of medicine: China is now one of the most popular destinations among international students to study medicine.
Doing MBBS in China can be a very valuable experience both for you and your career. There are two different medical programs: the first program is known as MD (Doctor of Medicine), with a duration of 3 years, and the second undergraduate program with 5 years of theoretical and practical training with 1 year of internship. But why you should do an MBBS in China?
1. Today there are around 52 approved medical schools which are public universities under the supervision of the Chinese Government and all of them allow the enrollment of international students. All are listed in the World Health Organization (WHO)'s "Directory of World Medical Schools". This listing means that graduates are eligible to attend national medical screening tests such as USMLE, PLAB, AMC, MCI, PMDC, HPCSA, SCHS, etc. So an MBBS in China is globally recognized.
2. Most of China's medical universities are ranked among the top 500 universities in the world and their prestige is well-known all around the world: an MBBS in China is on par with a western one.
3. China has great education infrastructure with cheap tuition fees and living expenses. Studying towards an MBBS in China is 70% more affordable than undertaking a similar program in the US or UK. The charges of tutoring in the universities in China are subsidized by the Ministry of Public Health of the Chinese Government.
4. China is home to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). International student will learn both western and TCM becoming the future of the new medicine. With an MBBS in China students will also have opportunities to do postgraduate in all TCM sub-specialities.
5. Medical students have plenty of structures where can train and ask for an internship.
As any other major, the admission requirement for an MBBS in China may vary according to the university. These are some of the most common requirements:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older and must hold a high school diploma or above.
- Minimum of 70% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) and Maths. Students must specifically have an excellent average grade in Biology to increase their acceptance rate
- Minimum of 70% in mathFor the application you’ll just need to look for MBBS programs offered by the different universities. Once you found the most suitable to you, you’ll need to apply by filling the application form and uploading all the required documents. After that, you’ll wait for the admission confirmation. If you’re accepted by the university, they’ll send you the invitation letter with which you can apply for the student visa.