How to Apply For A Chinese Student Visa

If you’ve decided to go to China the first thing you need in order to enter to the country is your visa. Chinese visa can be different according to the reason why you’re entering to the country. This guide will focus on how to get a student visa (X1 or X2). 


Student visa are issued to all students who have been admitted by a Chinese college. It’s divided into two categories: X1 for those who want to study for more than six months and X2 which have the same purpose but the period is less than six months.

Holder of X1 visa must register at local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival, where the China Residence Permit will be issued to replace X1 visa. X2 visa is usually issued for one entry with validity up to 6 months. You should apply for a study visa for China around one month before your intended date of arrival in China. If the Chinese college sends you the documents earlier, it is recommended not to apply before than 3 months before that date.

All Chinese embassies are very efficient and the processing time for a visa usually take only one week or even less. In order to apply for your students visa, you need to present the following documents: 

1. Original passport (with at least one blank page and valid for at least 6 months after your expected date of departure from China)

2. Completed application form

3. One passport type photograph

4. Original and a copy of acceptance letter from the Chinese college

5. Proof of paying the visa application fee 

6. A photocopy of previous Chinese passports (only applicable to foreign citizens who were once Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)

7. Proof of legal status in the country where you’re applying for the visa, such as a resident permit (if you’re applying for the visa outside your country of citizenship)

8. Copy of air plane tickets and accommodation arrangements

9. Applicants who are over 18 years old and plan to study in China for more than 180 days need to provide a valid physical examination record

Depending on your nationality, you might be asked to provide additional documents. 

International students are allowed to take part-time jobs during their studies, or to engage in paid internships on campus, under the following condition: they must obtain permission both from their Chinese college and the Chinese immigration authorities.

Ready to start your own study abroad journey in China? Explore top schools on Apply For China.